Aeromotive Cobra Jet Challenge
Fun Ford Weekend 2013 Aeromotive Cobra Jet Challenge – AT SELECT EVENTS
Rules & Race Format
The Aeromotive Cobra Jet Challenge is designed to provide a fun, safe, high-profile race class for Ford Racing Cobra Jet Mustangs and their owners and race teams within the racing programs at the 2012 Fun Ford Weekend (FFW) Series events. The Aeromotive Cobra Jet Challenge is one of the “premiere classes” for the event.
The Aeromotive Cobra Jet Challenge will be run at select Fun Ford Weekends in 2013, including;
March 23: Royal Purple Raceway, Baytown, TX
May 17-18: Rockingham Dragway, Rockingham, NC
July 19-21: Gateway Motorsports Park, St. Louis, MO
August 17-18: Maple Grove Raceway, Reading, PA
Aeromotive Cobra Jet Challenge Competition Format
*The class will be run as a competition index, allowing for all Cobra Jet variants to compete.
* The class will be heads up with a staggered start based upon the vehicle’s NHRA natural class index. This is commonly referred to as a Competition Index Class.
* A minimum of four (4) cars must register for the class or it will not be run
* Starting index carries through all rounds – there will be NO index lowering like Competition Eliminator
Aeromotive Cobra Jet Challenge Fun Ford Weekend Entry Fee:
* Team Entry Fee: $75 per team (team is one race car, driver and up to three (3) crew members
Aeromotive Cobra Jet Challenge Purse:
* Prizes for the Competition Index Class will be awarded to the winner (PRIZE TBD)
Aeromotive Cobra Jet Challenge Class Rules:
The class is designed for all Ford Racing Cobra Jet Mustangs to compete. Where applicable, racers with comparably equipped Cobra Jet Mustangs will run in heads-up competition. Racers from different classes will run a Competition Index format. All Cobra Jet Challenge cars must pass their their respective NHRA Stock or Super Stock Tech requirements with the following exceptions;
* Any tire is allowed
* Front passenger seat may be removed
* Rear seat may be removed
All Aeromotive Cobra Jet Challenge racers must run in their current natural class as determined by current NHRA horsepower factor and NHRA Stock Car Classification weight.
Vehicle Base Weights:
Total vehicle weight minimum with driver is curb weight as listed in the NHRA Stock Car Classification. Stock Car Classification can be found on NHRA.com under Competition. (NOTE: FFW’s Aeromotive Cobra Jet Challenge does NOT use the 170 lb “driver addition” in weight classification).
See “Example of vehicle weights and elimination run” below.
Participants are subject to tech inspection in accordance with Fun Ford Weekend (FFW) rules. Do not enter your Cobra Jet for competition if you are not prepared to prove the legality and compliance of your vehicle. See FFW General Regulatios and NHRA Rulebook for full details.
Class Safety Requirements:
1) It is the participant’s responsibility to familiarize oneself with the requirements as found in the 2012 NHRA rulebook and 2012 FFW General Regulations.
2) The participant agrees that the participant bears the ultimate responsibility at all times to ensure the safety of the participant’s vehicle and to ensure that participant complies with all applicable NHRA and FFW rules.
3) The participant agrees that participant is in the best position to know about the construction and operation of the participant’s vehicle, equipment and clothing, and whether there has been compliance with all applicable NHRA and FFW rules.
Aeromotive Cobra Jet Challenge – Spirit of the Rules
Any racer or race team acting outside the “spirit of the rules” for the Aeromotive Cobra Jet Challenge can be disqualified from the event by the agreement of at least two members of the host track Tech Department and an official representative of the Fun Ford Weekend Series, Aeromotive or Ford Racing.
How the races work:
For full Stock Eliminator and Super Stock rules, consult the 2012 NHRA Rule Book.
Example of vehicle weights and elimination run:
Vehicle 1: 2010 4.6L 3V Cobra Jet Stocker coupe automatic – 3,050 lbs. as listed on NHRA.com. This is a natural J Stock Automatic with an index of 12.45 ET.
Vehicle 2: 2008 5.4L Cobra Jet Super Stocker coupe automatic – 3,240 lbs. as listed on NHRA.com. This is a natural Super Stock D Automatic with an index of 10.20 ET.
The difference in competition indexes for these two vehicles is 2.25 seconds (12.45 – 10.20 = 2.25)
Vehicle 1 will leave first
Vehicle 2 will leave 2.25 seconds later
The first vehicle to cross the finish line wins the race!
Non-Competition Index Races
Races pairing two Cobra Jet Mustangs in the same class will be run heads-up.